QIF import creates duplicate account

Chris Bainbridge chris.bainbridge at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:52:31 EDT 2012

Hello,

I try to use QIF import for credit card account data. It works for
most transactions, but has a problem when a transaction is matched to
one of my GnuCash accounts (my Assets:Current account). When I click
"Apply" on the QIF import, the importer creates a duplicate account,
identical to the original (Assets:Current account), even with exactly
the same name, but containing only the newly imported transactions.
This happens even if I "match" every QIF transaction with an existing
one -  so the QIF importer imports no transactions, making the newly
created duplicate account have no transactions.

I have read some previous emails to this list that said a duplicate
account is created if the currency or account type is different. In
this case, the duplicate account and original account both have type
"Bank", and same currency (GBP). The QIF import is done with currency
GBP, which is set from the locale.

I am not particularly bothered about this one transaction as it is
easy to work around, but this looks like a bug in the QIF importer? I
tried to reproduce the problem by creating a new set of accounts, and
then importing the QIF, but that worked ok.