Creditors

Kash kash at warmplanetbikes.com
Wed Nov 21 11:32:08 EST 2012

It sounds like you're trying to track money you owe. The standard way to
track this is with a liability account called 'accounts payable'.

Please go to accountingcoach.com and search for 'accounts payable'. I'd
also recommend reading the sections 'basic accounting' and 'the
accounting equation'. It will take an hour or so.

**Note: the following is complex enough that you should create a backup
copy of your file before you start. There are some quirks with GnuCash
that mean you will not be able to rollback the file to its previous
state if you screw up the entry. Best to dump your work and restore from
backup until you get the hang of what you're doing.**

For each entity you owe money to, you'll create a new vendor; business >
vendor > new vendor. Each time you receive a bill or invoice from one of
them, you'll create a new bill; business > vendor > new bill. GnuCash
can be configured to pop up a reminder of bills due soon each time you
open the program. You will also be able to see totals due to each vendor
by date through the reports > business > payable aging and reports >
business > vendor report.

Do not enter the bills you owe directly as transactions, and do not
create multiple accounts of type 'accounts payable' because it will
screw up reporting. GnuCash has a simpler method that lets you generate
reports to keep track of what you owe, who you owe it to, and when each
bill is due. Look up the 'bills' topic in GnuCash help.

Note that if you're tracking money owed to you, GnuCash can do that too
and the process is similar, but you have to create 'customer' instead of
vendor, and you'll track the amounts and due dates in 'receivable aging'.

Unfortunately, if you buy and sell from the same entity, I have found no
way to avoid having two entries, one for customer, and one for vendor,
with duplicate information.