My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 1 10:09:46 EDT 2012

Algeorge <agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com> writes:

> Hi all.
> I've had to enter my most recent accounts data and can confirm that there is
> a theme dependent reports button, however, the options within do not allow a
> great deal to be done to the report format, once again comparing with
> Skrooge.

It very much depends on which report you are working with.  Each report
defines its own set of options which control what will get displayed in
the report.  You can also set up style sheets to *somewhat* control the
"formatting" of the report.  You don't say which reports you tried or
what formatting you were trying to achieve.

[snip]
> There are some problems with the interface earlier reported by me. EG the
> lookup function can tend to get messy if there are several instances of
> Descriptor with the same start letters eg POst Office POintscape POwer
> billing; in my GUI the descriptor gets filled with the latest and you have
> to backspace etc to clean up. Most new users would get used to this, but if

You don't have to backspace; you can just keep typing.  Typing P will show
one, but then if you continue typing "o" and "i" it will choose the
latter.

[snip]
> Re someones comment that its invalid having formula in splits.

That's not what I said.  I said in MANY cases it doesn't make sense (and
would just be wrong).  I never said it was "invalid".

> In Australia, NZ and many other countries we have % allocated to business
> and private use. GST/VAT can be calculated easily separately from the
> accounting program by using programs reports and manually doing the biz, but
> it is very important to be able to allocate editable % formula to splits for
> this purpose, and ease of entry. This is not my personal opinion as its
> demonstrated in Quicken, Skrooge et al by default.

... And I also said that 'VAT' is the *only* case for which it would be
useful.  But turning it on for everyone would be... confusing... because
it would be wrong more often than it would be right.  I even gave
examples about *why* it would be wrong in all those cases.