oops, i forgot

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 10 09:27:21 EDT 2012

On 10/9/2012 4:26 PM, Carpetnailz wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 17:04 -0400, D. Gassen wrote:
>> On 10/9/12 10:21 AM, Alexander, John Ryan wrote:
>>> One of the things I'm looking for is a way to track non-cashed checks. I wrote a check for taxes in April and forgot about it until it was cashed late September. Does Gnucash have a function for tracking something like that so I don't bounce checks in the future by accident? I've browsed the FAQ and have just glanced over the archives, but I haven't seen anything of the sort.

In the olden days Quicken had a feature in their reconciliation report
that would highlight missing check numbers.  Remember when that was
meaningful information?

I still think that a reconciliation report would be a useful addition to
the GnuCash Report portfolio.  That would show all uncleared
transactions as a part of the report along with freshly cleared cleared
transactions in an adjacent section.  If the initiated date and cleared
date were both known and tracked, that could also be in such a report.

My bank's monthly statement has a summary section that only lists items
by date, type, check number (if it is a check) and amount, then a detail
section that fills in the electronic transaction details like merchant
name, charge date, and reference id.  I would vote for a similar
structure if a reconciliation report were developed.

David C