Importing Gross Income with payroll deductions into GnuCash from Excel

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 10 15:00:08 EDT 2012

Hi,

"Frank H. Ellenberger" <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Art,
>
> 1. it is a user question, so we should continue this on gnucash-user.
> 2. Instead of hijacking a thread you should have started a new thread.
>

> Am 10.10.2012 16:36, schrieb Art:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've been looking at QIF and OFX to import my Excel spreadsheet with about 9 years of bi-weekly pay with deductions into GnuCash, but it appears the multiple columns which would naturally map to splits in GnuCash won't make it as a structure in the input file formats GnuCash accepts.
>>
>> I thought I'd just convert it to simple OFX files, e.g., GrossIncome, FedTaxes, etc and pre-split the CSV file via a converter (or macro in Excel). Since I've never done this before, I was hoping someone else had and was willing to share.
>>
>> I didn't want to post this in the regular users group because I thought there might be some programmatic or technical file format insight that the development list might have.
>>
>> BTW, I have not used any GnuCash API's, e.g., Python, etc, which I am more than willing to explore, but I want to have a focused approach if I do so.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Art
>
> Did you have a look at
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Importing.2FExporting_Data ?
>
> There are  several ways to do it. Probably the easiest would be to use
> Calc2QIF/xl2qif. E.g. link the desired fields to a new sheet and run
> there the macro or export as csv.

Indeed, QIF supports Split Transactions (OFX does not).  So you are
better off creating QIF.  However, QIF only knows about Asset and
Liability accounts, so you will need to make your transactions appear as
your deposits into your Checking.  So they would look something like:

PMy Salary
D<date>
T<net deposit>
SIncome
$<gross income>
STax1
$-<tax1 amount>
STax2
$-<tax2 amount>

Some of the numbers will need to be negative, so you might want to play
around with a single transaction until you get it to import correctly.