archived versions?

Malcolm Chaires mchaires at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 11:48:12 EDT 2012

I found two places where it tells you how to get a trace file.

This one ( http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace )  says: " If you have been asked to provide a stack trace, but you are using GnuCash on Windows only and feel too unfamiliar with gdb debugging, please respond along the lines of ' I'm sorry, but I encountered this problem only on Windows and I am not familiar enough with gdb on Windows to obtain stack traces there'" . I am not familiar enough with gdb ...

And this one ( http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile ) says: "On Windows, these files are located in the folder c:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Temp\gnucash.trace.ABCDEF for a user named "myname" (on Vista in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp ), where the .ABCDEF suffix is changed randomly on each start of gnucash."

In my Vista configuration, there are no files matching the named pattern. The only thing that remotely looks like it may belong to gnuCash is a directory under AppData\Local\Temp named gconfd-MYNAME . This directroy is empty. But if you launch gnuCash, a directory named lock will suddenly appear under gconfd-MY NAME, and under that a file named ior. The content of the file is a series of numbers as I recall, about 30 - 40 bytes long.  The lock directory and it's file will disappear after about 20 seconds.

Does this help? Should I post the file contents (can't now; not at home)?

What about archived Windows install executables?