Importing payroll transactions into GnuCash from Excel

pinaar pinaart at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 23:11:27 EDT 2012

Hi!
The Development Forum suggested I post here.
Derek suggested,
QIF supports Split Transactions (OFX does not).  So you are
better off creating QIF.  However, QIF only knows about Asset and
Liability accounts, so you will need to make your transactions appear as
your deposits into your Checking.  So they would look something like:

    PMy Salary
    D<date>
    T<net deposit>
    SIncome
    $<gross income>
    STax1
    $-<tax1 amount>
    STax2
    $-<tax2 amount>
I had downloaded XL2QIF and ran it against my CSV but didn't like the
output. I emailed xl2qif.support at tiscali.fr, but it bounced. So I thought
I'd download a Perl script or something and tweak that, however, I would
like to see if someone already has a method that works so I can avoid
re-inventing it.

I love how GnuCash supports MySQL which I use to query it, but don't wish to
risk corrupting the database by stepping outside of API's.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, but I didn't see
anything on my Google searches.

Thanks,
Art