"Buildin" currency exchange

alavarre alavarre at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:44:04 EDT 2012

How can I enter a transaction in a foreign currency and have it converted
automatically to my home currency?

For example, in a USD account (e.g., Visa-USD) enter a GBP amount (e.g. GBP
83.22) and have it converted to USD with the current rate recorded in the
Price Editor?

The price editor correctly updates exchange rates, so I believe I have the
necessary modules installed, but entering "GBP 83.22" or a host of other
variants returns and error. I am relatively certain that I remember being
able to do that in the past, but perhaps I'm disremembering Quicken... :-(

I've spent several hours reading through the documentation without success.
The closest I find is

http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/currency_purchase1.html

which blows off option one (which I want) and goes on in great detail on
option two (that I don't want.
=====
It says:

1) Use GnuCash build in currency exchange between accounts when you do your
transactions. This is mainly used for one time transactions, and nothing
which happens regularly.

Well, sorry, that is exactly what I want to do.
=====

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Andy