Re: Help with GnuCash! Why is there a “Rebate” column in the Expense account on GnuCash?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 18:15:58 EDT 2012

Robby--

Please keep this on the list.

The whole point of Gnucash being "double-entry" is that you HAVE to have your money come from one place and go somewhere else.

Take this example: you purchase a ream of paper for five dollars cash. The transaction would have:

Expenses:Supplies  -$5
Assets:Cash in Wallet:   -$5

In other words, you take money from your wallet and exchange it for a ream of paper. [Presumably, you got the cash into your wallet by withdrawing from your checking account, and the money in the checking account got there from your paycheck, which is listed as income]

To get an accounting of a particular expenses, you can create reports based on the specific account, covering a particular time frame.

You really should read more background on basic accounting, as well as the Gnucash Tutorial.

HTH,
David