RE: Help with GnuCash! Why is there a "Rebate" column in the Expense account on GnuCash?

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 19:26:58 EDT 2012

Perhaps the word "Rebate" is the problem here.  In a simple scenario one
would go to a store and pay cash for, say some groceries and some other
items.  The "Rebate" would actually be the cash payment from your "Wallet"
asset account.
It is customary for most of us to work in the "Wallet" or asset register and
enter expenditures from there.  If we later want to see all of our
expenditures on "Groceries" we can open the Expense:Groceries account and
find it all right there, albeit with that irritating word "Rebate"
If we choose the basic ledger or single line view the "Rebates" are pretty
much hidden from view.

David C

Maybe I'm in a different view, but I don't see a problem with the word
"Rebate" in my register.  The "Rebate" column is blank.  If I take the
groceries back and get a refund, then the money goes back into my account
out of the expense account and I did receive a rebate.  Perhaps refund would
be a better word in that case, but if one got a rebate on something, the
same would apply, because a rebate isn't income, at least not so far as I
know in the US.