Credit Memos

Kash kash at warmplanetbikes.com
Tue Oct 16 19:38:07 EDT 2012

I have a vendor who issues credit memos. These memos are later applied
to the vendor's invoices. The invoices are entered as bills in the Gnucash.

It seems like I should enter the credit memos as bills with a negative
total, but that is not allowed. They're not invoices, but could be
considered such, but I'd have to create two separate entries for the
same company, one as a vendor and one as a customer, which seems wrong.
I did not test whether I could pay a bill with an invoice, but I'm
betting not.

I could create an asset account called "credit memos" then pay bills out
of that account, but it seems like there should be a more standardized
method that allows the credit memos to appear on vendor reports.

I've found mention on the web to unpost an invoice, then add a
transaction for the amount of the credit memo, then repost and pay, but
this method does not address how to record the credit memos when they
are generated, or how to get them to appear on vendor reports.

Suggestions?