Help with GnuCash! Why is there a "Rebate" column in the Expense account on GnuCash?

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 21:31:08 EDT 2012

Dustin,

You do not see numbers in the "Rebate" column only because you are not using
the Auto-Split Ledger or transaction Journal views.
You are actually agreeing with Robby in your objection to the use of the
word "Rebate" as a description for the cash that is offsetting the expense
in the expense register.
Perhaps someone knows why that word was first selected.  Originally the
columns were called "Debit" and "Credit" as they are in orthodox accounting
practice,  but that becomes confusing to most of us who are not accountants.

I was speaking with my tongue in cheek as I was calling the word irritating.
I agree with you about the common usage for that word.
Perhaps we should request as Robby originally did that the word "Rebate"
be replaced with some other word.

In the meantime, we can pretty much avoid seeing "Rebate" by minimizing the
amount of time that we spend in expense registers.

David C

I see, I must have mis-remembered or mis-intrepreted the original complaint.
I thought (as other responders suggested) that there was no linked account
so the expense account was showing both sides of the transaction.  As such,
I hadn't even considered the fact that the headings are no longer
logical/accurate when using viewing splits.