Re: Help with GnuCash! Why is there a “Rebate” column in the Expense account on GnuCash?

Richard Bishopp rbishopp44 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 07:32:35 EDT 2012

Robby.  I was just updating my expenses and income (pay check Friday). I
think I see exactly what you are doing.

I think you are recording your transactions in the expenses area and not
the asset area of the list of accounts.  In expenses the columns read
Expense and Rebate.

When I spend money I go to the credit card account I set up in liabilities
and record it there as a charge.  I do that since that is where the money
comes from.  While recording that expense there I select the expense
account it goes to like gas or groceries.  So that column (transfer) shows
Expenses:Groceries  for example.  If I pay by check, then same thing. I
open the checking account in the list of accounts and record it there. This
is a decrease in the asset account>checking.   I rarely ever record a
transaction directly in the expense account.  I just direct the expense to
the correct expense account in the transfer column while creating a record
of the transfer in the account where the money is ( the checking account ).

This is the basics of the double entry (which I know you understand).
 Again only use the expense accounts listed or created by you to see what
went where.
Again I am firefighter not a computer whiz or accountant so getting this
straight myself took some time.  I had to teach myself some basic
accounting but I think I have a grip enough for my own personal book
keeping.

Hope that helps.

Rich...