Handling multiple currency in GNUCash

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 21 08:52:48 EDT 2012

On 10/20/2012 11:57 AM, Abrash Pervaiz wrote:
> Hello again,
> Thanks for everyone who replied. I have briefly gone over the tutorial and will go in further detail to see if it helps, including using the trading accounts. However, I have decided to delay this just to give the owner a bit of time to get acclimatised to the new accounting system without the added hassle of dealing with multiple currencies (which is complicated enough for me, at least in GNU, so far).
> I have run into another problem though. I think it is a bug and I am not sure whether it's happening just on my system or is a general issue with ver 2.4.11. I ran the "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" reports on some dummy data, and the top level accounts they show are not balanced (they are balanced on the main screen). For example, the "Assets" account only holds a "zero" balance whereas it should add up all the asset accounts (text dump is shown below):
>
> Assets	   	                                               $ 0.00	          Current Assets	          $ 0.00	   	                Petty Cash	          $ 0.00	   	                Inventory	          $ 58,850.00	   	                Prepaid Rent	  $ 0.00	   	                Checking Account $ 52,500.00	   	                Savings Account	$ 0.00	   	          Accounts Receivable	   	$ 0.00
> The accounts on the main screen hold proper balances, so the issue seems to be with report generation. Is anyone else experiencing this?
> -Abrash

You have hit on another topic that is often discussed here.  Learning
how to adapt the provided reports to your needs requires a great deal of
reading and ultimately a little or a lot of experimenting to wrap the
chosen report around your particular Chart of Accounts.

It would be very difficult to discuss both of the two types that you are
asking about in the same discussion thread.  I would suggest that you
narrow your focus to one report per thread and that you go into more
detail whether you are having a problem with the default settings or
whatever.

Also, please start a new thread when you change the topic.

David C