Associating a customer with a split

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 25 15:58:47 EDT 2012

ArtBra New Haven <artbra at hyre.net> writes:

>    Dear GNUCash:
>
> On 10/23/2012 10:35 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> AFAIK the only easy way to do that is to set up per-customer
>> sub-accounts of income:sales.
>
>    That sounds a bit much for my taste.

Unfortunately the only way to tie a transaction to a Business ->
Customer would be via an Invoice.  I think there may be a way to tie a
transaction in A/R directly to a Customer via the right-click context
menu in the A/R register.  However, I don't know when this feature got
released (it may not be in 2.4) and also it's unclear how it would work
with both + and - transactions.

>> Alternatively, you could put the customer in the memo field for the
>> split, but you'd have to write a custom report to group by the memo
>> field, which is hard unless you can write Scheme.
>
>    I'm currently using the memo field as you suggest.  I can write Emacs
> Lisp, so how hard could it be?  :-)

If you can write E-Lisp then you'll be fine.