PDF weirdness

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Oct 28 16:42:42 EDT 2012

At Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:01:04 +1100 Andrew Greig <pushin.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 09:12 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Hi Colin,
> > >
> > > I ran the pdf validator on the pdf I created in the Print dialog.  It
> > > returned that the pdf was pdf1.5  so it appears to be OK.
> > >
> > > Thr reason that I do not suspect the printer is that the table cells
> > > were all defined cleanly with black borders, and the only text that
> > > printed was hypertext.
> > >
> > > I have never encountered anything like this before.
> >
> > What kind of printer is it (make, model) and what printing software are
> > you using (version of CUPS, etc.)?  It probably *is* your printing
> > software, probably a font or color problem of some sort.
> >

> > > Andrew

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Printer is an HP PhotoSmart C5280 All-in-one
> CUPS 1.5
>
> For regular printing it works fine and the scanner works very well.
>
> hplip 3.11.10-3.1.2 is is installed (3 packages)

All I can say is that at the Wendell Free Library on a CentOS 5 system
with a HP all-in-one (OfficeJet) is that we have our own 'PDF
weirdness' (not related to Gnucash at all): printing random PDF's from
Adobe's PDF reader fails (the print job crashes). The same PDF prints
just fine using evince, xpdf, or being converted to Postscript by
Ghostscript.  Adobe's PDF reader can print just fine to an *older* HP
laser printer (with native Postscript).  It is not the PDF files, but
the software involved in converting it to Postscript (Adobe's Reader)
and/or converting the Postscript to HP Inkjet raster format (eg
Ghostscript & hplip / CUPS).

I suspect you are seeing a simular sort of bug here.  It *might* be
related to something Gnucash is (not?) doing, possibly  related to
fonts, since the problem seems to be related to text. And might just be
a Ghostscript and/or hplip bug.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com