[MAINT] Short outage to re-power equipment

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 31 10:00:52 EDT 2012

Some of you may or may not have noticed a short outage on Monday.  I had
a short power outage (around 20 minutes) during which time the UPS took
over and kept everything going.  Yay.  However, after power came back,
the UPS didn't switch back to the line source, so it ran on battery
until the batteries got low, at which point it started shedding load.
Boo.  Even worse, I couldn't get the unit to reset, so I moved all the
equipment over to line power to get it all running again.

The good news is that I determined I have about 2 hours of backup  :-/

After working with tech support Monday and Tuesday we determined that
it's most likely the SNMP/Web Card that caused the unit to fail to
return to line voltage once the power returned.  I've removed the card
and reset the unit and have been testing it without load with success.

So I want to make a short (30 minute) window to move the equipment back
to the UPS.  I plan to do that this afternoon, around 3pm US/EDT (1900
UTC).  It should be relatively quick as I shut down the systems, move
the plugs, and power them on.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this timing.