RES: How to use mysql.

theoaks ojerindej at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 01:20:45 EDT 2012

Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote

> On 31 Jan 2012, at 02:24, gnucash-user-request@ wrote:
>
>> "127.0.0.1" IS "localhost". "localhost" is just an alias for it.
>> Why it would be necessary to use the formal notation instead of the alias
>> will
>> remain a mystery.
>
> Yes, this is in general true. However, when MySQL is making the connection
> to the database, on Unix systems at least, if there is no host specified,
> or the host is 'localhost', it will attempt to connect using Unix domain
> sockets, because these are more efficient  If anything else is specified,
> including 127.0.0.1, it will make a TCP connection.
>
> So for MySQL, the two are not quite equivalent. And since Unix domain
> sockets live at a particular location in the file system, they can fail if
> a directory doesn't exist, for example.  Another possibility is that you
> have more than one MySQL installation on a machine, and the server is
> configured to use a socket at one location while the client libraries
> default to another.
>
> I'm afraid I can't remember enough of the original post to know whether
> that might be the issue, but it's worth knowing about anyway!
>
> Quentin

The localhost / 127.0.0.1 issue is a local DNS resolution issue. On windows,
one can make the alias work fine by editing the "hosts" file. one can find
it in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts". The hosts file can only be
editted with Administrator permission. Just uncomment the line "#  127.0.0.1
localhost" by deleting the # character and try again. then, you'll be just
fine. Both localhost and 127.0.0.1 will work fine in gnucash.