Transaction problem - currency exchange apearing

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Sep 3 16:47:36 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, September 3, 2012 12:00 pm, stevegoobermanhill wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem that seems to have occurred when performing a transaction
> between 2 accounts in the same exchange rate. In the "edit account" menu
> item, both accounts are shown as GBP.
>
> However, when I try and transfer funds between them (one is a bank current
> account, one is a bank savings account), gnucash is performing an exchange
> rate transaction, assuming that one account is a EUR account (the set of
> accounts also has a EUR bank account).
>
> Any ideas on the cause, how I can avoid it, and how I can stop it
> happening!. I am running gnucash 2.2.9 on ubuntu linux

You don't say what UI you use to transfer the funds.  Different UIs choose
the Transaction Currency differently.  For example, if you're using the
General Ledger to create transactions it will choose your locale currency.
 Whereas if you choose an Account Register it will choose the currency of
that account.

I'm guessing that your locale currency is EUR, and you're using the GL.
If, instead, you use one of the GBP accounts and create the transaction
from there it should work fine.

This *should* be the case in 2.2.9 -- that's a pretty old release.  2.4.11
is current.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745