Trading accounts - when do they make sense?

whwtan whwtan at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 03:17:15 EDT 2012

Hi Mark,

I would love to work this out with you as well.
Peter's tutorial convinced me to use gnucash over far more expensive
commercial software but I have not been able to figure out how trading
accounts work.

Similar to you, I work on projects in different countries and would
spend time in USA, Australia and Singapore so I have bank accounts in 3.

Your description of how you set up your accounts is precisely the way I
tried to set up my system as well. Big bills which come annually would
be separated into their currencies but everyday expenses would be
grouped into just "dining" or "entertainment" itself.

The problem is trying to make it work.
In the end, I gave up and wound up making a huge painstaking list of
seperating all the expenses by currencies first. This seems to be
different from what I thought gnucash was supposed to be so I figured I
just haven't figured it out yet.

There is extremely sparse information on what and how trading accounts
work, I only knew about it and enabled it because of Peter's tutorial.
[Well, I thought I've come across the holy grail there but it seems like
the powers above only help those who help themselves. :P]

William