Sales tax and Change given to customer

error404llc error404llc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:23:05 EDT 2012

How do I record Change I give to a customer, for instance if I sell something
52.50 and a customer gives me 53.00.  Where does that 50 cents I give back
to the customer go?  Is that an expense?  What I've been doing now is,
record the total the customer gives me as the sale and then have an expense
account for the money I give back.  That evens it out, but that's not an
expense obviously.  And that'll screw up my books come tax time.

How should I set up sales tax, for example when I sell something I just
include tax in the price.  Is this ok, Just record total income, and then
just figure out when I owe on tax in a liabilities account transfered to a
sales tax currentasset account?