Sales tax and Change given to customer

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 18:43:24 EDT 2012

Hi. I think I disagree with Eric on this.

Bear in mind, I am NOT an Accountant.

But, I am pretty sure that if you take in 50 for a product and 2.50 in tax, you do NOT want that all entered as income, since it isn't. I am pretty certain that you will run into some tax authority who will slap your wrists on it. The 50 goes to Income; the 2.50 needs to go into a liability account and/or an expense account.

Someone else will have more to say on the topic.

David