Audit adjustments

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Sep 7 03:08:34 EDT 2012

On Fri 7 September 12 10:18:39 Terence wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The auditor told me most accounting software allows a lump sum figure to
> be put into retained earning for audit adjustment purpose instead of
> putting in the entry line by line.  Can this also be done in GnuCash?
> Thanks for the input in advance.
>
> T Wong

Hi Terence,

I'm still not clear on the problems that you are trying to fix.

You can put a lump sum from any account to any other account at any time, with
the caveat that you can't directly enter transactions in the AP and AR
accounts used by the business features sub-system.

I'm trying to imagine why you would need to adjust the A/R. The only reason I
can think is that you maybe have been charging the wrong rate of tax or
something similar. But IANAA, so there could be any number of things I don't
know.

Has every invoice covered by the audit period been paid in full?  if so, the
A/R should be at zero, with the money is sitting in the bank and pointing at
some income account(s).  Can't you make the audit adjustment from the income
accout, rather than the invoices? (which would alter the total income and
allow retained earnings to increase)

Like I said, IANAA, and I'm not clear what and why you are trying to do!

Maf.