Forwarding data to another computer

Selva Tinnan sst at dogstown.org
Fri Sep 7 12:06:40 EDT 2012

Hi,

On closer scrutiny, I found that the file was actually being saved on the
local computer (into a freshly created folder) with the .gnucash.gcm
extension.

What cannot happen was happening. Well, you do see that occasionally with
computers.

I walked the user (over the phone) through an upgrade from gnucash 2.4.10
to 2.4.11 and then had him 'Save As' again in a fresh folder. Suddenly
everything worked just fine, and emailed fine as well. He's all set on
using DropBox as well. He's back to complaining about the speed of his DSL
line.

Back in April a local tech had transferred all his data and programs over
from his old XP laptop to his new Windows 7 laptop. Since this gnucash
saving problem started after that transfer, it looks like software
corruption was the core issue.

As the IT guys in ancient Mesopotamia used to say, "When the hieroglyphs
come out all crooked, go get a clean piece of sandstone."

Thanks to all on this thread for clues and advice . . .

It saved with
> On Thu 6 September 12 14:38:30 Selvaswami wrote:
>> Well, I have the GnuCash up on my screen,
>>
>> the top line says file type is  XML
>>
>> I do File > Save As > filename.gnucash  and it saves just that way.
>>
>> When I attach it to an email, it attaches as  filename.gcm  and opens in
>> Notepad.
>>
>> Gnucash for Windows 2.4.10 on Windows 7
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thank you,
>
> Hi,
>
> In which folder are you saving the file?
>
> on my linux version of 2.4.10, I get both
> <filename.gnucash> and <filename.gnucash.gcm> saved in the path
> ~/.gnucash/books/  (Not sure what the equivalent windows path would be.)
>
> Neither of these are my data file.
>
> My data is in a completely different place.  Are you sure that you are
> really
> attaching you data file?  What happens if you save the file back out from
> sent email - does it open on your computer?
>
> when you see it in notepad, is it legible?  does it start with something
> like
>
> [Top]
> BookGuid=a5ed76d745f6951ad97a3eb7ae59df75
> WindowCount=1
>
> or
> <gnc-v2
>      xmlns:gnc="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/gnc"
>      xmlns:act="http://www.gnucash.org/XML/act"
>
> if the top one, it isn't your data file.  if the bottom one, it (probably)
> is.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Regards,