Trading accounts - when do they make sense?

Ian K ik522000 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 13:13:31 EDT 2012

Following on to my example above, in the non-Trading Accounts version, if I
put in a further transaction converting the the remaining EUR 300 back to
USD at 1.1:
EUR Checking -EUR 300 @ 1.1 to Checking Account, the balance in the Checking
Account is now $830.

However if I run a Balance Sheet, Total Assets is shown as $830 (which is
correct), but on the Equity side you still have
Retained Earnings $875
Unrealised Losses $60
Total Equity $815

Not only does that not balance but it is wrong. There are no Euros left -
they have all been spent/sold so any loss is now realised, and the loss
isn't $60 anyway...