Tr : Backing up prob

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 17 09:06:23 EDT 2012

AlainCageda <alaincageda at yahoo.fr> writes:

> How can I find out whether I'm using XML or SQL storage?

If you were on Unix I would say "run file /path/to/your/file.gnucash"
which would tell you it is either a sqlite3 database or gzipped data.
On Windows, I'm not sure how you tell.  It would all be based on what
you chose when you first saved the file.

> In any case I don't understand why the name of my *.gnucash file reamins the
> same everytime I use Gnucash, closing it and registering at the end of each
> session.

Please see the FAQ:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What_are_all_these_.gnucash_and_.log_files_filling_up_my_directory.3F

Why would you expect the filename to change?  Would you expect an Excel
spreadsheet filename to change every time you saved your data?  Or a
Word document?