Different gnucash files

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Tue Sep 18 20:36:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

Does this make sense at all? How is this best handled?

I was living in Europe until September. I used a single gnucash file to
track every single transaction including taxes. I also have different
accounts in $ when I travelled around.

Now I moved to the US and I think it would be a best to start off from a
new, clean gnucash file. Large parts of the money will reside in Europe.

However, I found no way to link two gnucash files. This would mean that
I need at least a transfer account in both files and lots of redundancy.

On the other hand, a single gnucash file is very confusing especially
the expenses which are not all in Euro.

The main question is how I handle:

- Taking EUR to the US
- Taking $ to Europe
- Buying in the US with European credit card
- Transferring money from Europe to US and the other way round

(Yes, it would just be perfect if two gnucash files could be linked).

How would you handle that situation?

Regards
Luke