Edit prices for multiple gnucash files

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Sep 19 11:17:30 EDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 04:12 AM, spotty albino wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions David and Derek
>
> I like the idea of using my own quote server. Do you know if this is in fact
> possible? Looking in GNUcash security editor, I can only see options to
> choose from a given selection of quote servers. I don't see anything that
> would allow me to connect to server not in this list.
>
> I'll also follow up Stuart and see if he has any suggestions.

If I recall, I found the very helpful Gnucash wiki page,

  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/get_prices

and modified those scripts.  I slightly generalized the
"get quotes" Perl script (mostly to allow a specifying a
few more things as command line parameters).  I also have
a modified version of the Python script that import the
retrieved historical quotes into Gnucash.  I don't recall
if the changes I made were just stylistic or more substantive.

I'm also using a database backend (Postgresql) and I don't
recall whether I actually used the import script or whether
I just used the Postgresql tools to import the historical
quotes data into the relevant tables directly.  (I think
the structure of this part of Gnucash is pretty straight-
forward so that doing that is relatively safe but writing
directly to the database is officially verboten.)

But the historical price quotes are in my Gnucash instance
now so somehow or other it was doable.  Sorry about not being
more specific -- I usually try to keep detailed notes when
I do something like this but I can't seem to find any.

I'll be happy to pass on my modified versions of the wiki
page scripts if that will help.