Gnucash/AqBanking Packaging

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 19:01:33 EDT 2012

I am wondering what it would take to get AqBanking bundled with Gnucash such that new users would be able to download "an application," configure their personal financial information, and be able to retrieve online quotes.

Currently, users must download and install additional software packages (ActivePerl for Windows, XCode for Mac), and invoke a series of arcane commands in order to get online quote retrieval enabled. In the case of the Mac user, the extra download is 1.56GB, which is a hefty hefty download at the highest connection speeds; for users with mere DSL, the download can take days.  I believe all this additional overhead gives new users a negative early experience of Gnucash, and I got to wondering whether there might be some way to get online quote retrieval more integrated into the Gnucash package.

I recognize that AqBanking provides a powerful and flexible retrieval tool for Gnucash that allows a diverse array of information stores to be queried. I also recognize that the needs and capabilities of users and systems around the world vary, and Gnucash manages these diverse needs admirably well.

Nevertheless, I believe it would be highly beneficial to end users if online quote retrieval were available once Gnucash proper were installed. Hence, my message.

David