Finance Quote TIAA/CREF module broken again

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 22 10:08:11 EDT 2012

On Sep 22, 2012, at 4:50 AM, davelist at mac.com wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:45 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 20, 2012, at 7:53 AM, davelist at mac.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks to Carl for working on this, but it still doesn't seem to work for me.
>>>
>>> I copied the file to /Library/Perl/5.12/Finance/Quote on my Mac.
>>>
>>> I also tried removing all the extra (looks like man page) text from the bottom of the file, but that didn't help. Is it working now for you?
>>>
>>> I still get the message that it was unable to retrieve quotes for TIAA-CREF (other quotes do work).
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions? It was working until TIAA-CREF made the changes a few weeks ago.
>>
>> Was there already a copy of Tiaacref.pm in that location which you replaced with the new one?  Are there any other copies of that file elsewhere on your system?  I suspect you have several copies and you replaced the wrong one.  If you enter the command
>>
>>  perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC'
>>
>> in a Terminal window (it looks like you're running MacOSX) what do you get?  The new version of Tiaacref.pm should go in one of the directories listed and should replace a file by the same name.
>>
>>            Mike
>

> I put the file in /Library/Perl/5.12/Finance/Quote
>
> $  perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC'
> /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Library/Perl/5.12
> /Network/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Network/Library/Perl/5.12
> /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.4
> /System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/5.12
> /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12
> .
>
> The . also made me think about deleting old copies of the file that were in my home directory, but I deleted those too.
>
> I had moved the old file to Tiaacref.pm-pre-sep-2012 but I deleted it now and it still doesn't worked.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> I had previously put new versions of the Tiaacref.pm in the appropriate directory and it worked.
>
> There's probably still old copies in /opt/local from years ago when I ran gnucash via macports.

If you've used `locate` before you can run `locate Tiaacref.pm` from the command line, but that doesn't necessarily catalog every directory. The same goes for searching from Finder... but you should, to make sure that there isn't something masking the one in /Library/Perl/5.12

OTOH, it's possible that you installed it in the right place and it's running, but doesn't work. Have you tried running `gnc-fq-helper tiaacref symbol` to see if it's generating any output that Gnucash eats?

Regards,
John Ralls