My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:49:07 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Algeorge <agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com>wrote:

> Hi. After discussing various options of GNUcash your support and giving it
> good run for its money I have produced this video. I do not mind being
> corrected on any aspect of it as my videos must be as accurate as possible.
> You will notice in summary that GNUcash would be my preferred accounting
> software if it were more user friendly in some respects.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVWbsnOQmE
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVWbsnOQmE>
> Kind regards,
> Alistair George ( www.alistairgeorge.com <http://www.alistairgeorge.com>
>  )

Thanks for that video review! I entered a few suggestions on YouTube but
deleted them I will enter them here on the list instead.

First of all I cannot say much about Skrooge because I haven't used it
much. I have been using GnuCash for quite a few years now.

I've most often heard GnuCash pronounced "guh-noo cash" but I'm folks have
differing opinions.

Most of the reports in GnuCash DO include a filter for the dates. When you
have the report open, click the "gear" icon to see the report options. Most
reports allow you to specify a date range. They do vary by report.
Unfortunately sometimes the report name is confusing. For example, the
Income Statement may be the best report for categorizing your expenses for
a date range.

When you were entering the split, you might have found it easier to have
chosen "Remove Transaction Splits" then re-enter the amounts. However if
you are splitting your expenses the same way for every fuel transaction,
you can fairly easily type the formula, such as 50*5 and GnuCash will
replace the calculated amount as soon as you tab to the next field, so just
tab through the existing amounts, re-typing the formula for each field. I
don't believe GnuCash formulas can persist in any of the registers.
Scheduled Transactions allow persistent formulas, but the implementation is
a bit strange and/or buggy.

There are several ways to export GnuCash data but the most direct ones
involve running a report and copying the data from the report to another
program (such as a spreadsheet). Obviously for your review purposes you
were hoping to transfer the entire file among different programs. There are
processes converting the entire file and/or extracting data directly from
it (see the GnuCash FAQ and discussions on this list) but I don't think any
are well supported.

Thanks again for your video review!

(If you want to discuss this further you might want to subscribe directly
to the list rather than using Nabble -- as you may have noticed the
submissions via Nabble are moderated.)