My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Thu Sep 27 09:57:43 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org
[mailto:gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org] On Behalf Of
Michael Leone
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 09:50
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is
interested)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Define "standard" here.  Gnome-Terminal uses Shift-Control-Q to close
> a window.  Firefox uses Control-W.  Evolution uses Control-W.  I don't
> know anything that uses Control-F4 on Linux.

GnuCash is not a "Linux" program (in the sense that Linux is the only
platform it runs on). It is multi-platform. On a Windows platform, at least,
Control-F4 or Control-W is the "standard" UI command to close a window, but
may not be the same on all the other platforms that GnuCash runs on (Linux,
Mac, etc)..

Ideally, if possible, a multi-platform program should have a consistent UI.
The problem is that (generically speaking)  a UI is not the same on all
platforms. And hence, some keyboard shortcuts (such as the Control-F4
mentioned) are not going to give the same result on all platforms. But as
long as the menus are the same on all platforms, that's more important (for
consistency). IMO.

--

This message was brought to you by the numbers 0 and 1.

I don't recall ever using Control-F4 to close a window.  I believe Control-W
would, but have never tried.  I generally use Alternate-F4, and IIRC, this
works in Fedora.  Control-F4 in Windows closes a tab (even in Firefox), and
I'm not sure whether or not I have tried that on any version of Linux.  I
believe a program should behave consistently with the UI it is running on
(so GnuCash on Linux should have different shortcut keys in some cases than
GnuCash on Windows, Mac, etc.).