My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Sep 28 08:51:15 EDT 2012

On Thu, September 27, 2012 5:31 pm, Algeorge wrote:

> Doing reports there seems no gear icon visible V2.4.2.
> http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5358qe8w9fa932e
> <http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5358qe8w9fa932e>

As has been already suggested, the icon varies by the theme.  In your
theme (and mine) the icon is a wrench over a piece of paper.  It is indeed
in your picture, the pentultimate icon (second from the right).  I'll also
point out that 2.4.11 is current, 2.4.2 is very old and definitely buggy.

> But I am aware that reports can be adjusted very slightly from the Edit
> menu, but for users not to be able to customise their reports and save
> them
> is a problem.

GnuCash *can* do this.  From the Report Options you set it up, change the
report name, and then you can "Add Report" and it will appear in the
Custom reports menu.

> /Sorry, I'm not going watch the video.  Can you explain this "formula
> option" and how it is different or improved from GnuCash's current
> formula evaluation? /
> In Skrooge splits you can enter a formula which works off the total amount
> entered eg =total*.25  and =total*.75

Thank you for the explanation.  There has been some discussion of doing
this, and you certainly can do it from a Scheduled Transaction!

> /This is true and could be considered a missing feature in GnuCash. I'm
> not sure if this is something that can easily be implemented. I would
> fear not, because at first sight it would require changes straight down
> into the file format and all the core accounting logic. /
> You already have a lookup function with Description field, whats to stop
> same lookup applying a temporary formula to the splits, so that after the
> new total is entered the splits match the ratio of previous entry? EG you
> are getting your formula from the previous entries ratios.

This would be incorrect in many (most?) cases.  The only time I can
imagine this would work is if you're trying to pull out something like VAT
(which is completely irrelevant here in the USA).  For most other cases it
would be wrong all the time.  For example when I go to Target and pick up
groceries, clothing, and electronics, the Splits most definitely don't
follow a particular formula.  Having it automatically adjust would be...
strange.

Even just having it auto-adjust everything from a collapsed view would be
wrong.  For example my Salary is mostly the same, by periodically I get an
expense reimbursement as well, which changes the total deposit.  If
GnuCash auto-adjusted then when I changed the total deposit Split from the
collapsed transaction (because I always enter this from the Bank account)
it would then change everything, so I'd have to touch every Split in the
transaction, instead of just changing the single split for the
reimbursement amount.

There is no "one size fits all".  What would be useful is a way to take a
Scheduled Transaction and "apply" it in real time from the register --
what would solve your issue.  Or just set up an SX if your expenses *are*
recurring.  You can set up these kinds of formula there.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745