Finance::Quote 1.18 released

Erik Colson eco at ecocode.net
Sun Sep 30 16:01:22 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm no user of GnuCash but I follow this list as I'm the maintainer of
F::Q.

I've checked the source of gnc-fq-dump which shows that gnucash uses
/usr/bin/perl. (Well, at least in this file).

Following here is a procedure to clean up old F::Q installs and
reinstall it from scratch. IMPORTANT: I DIDN'T TRY THIS PROCEDURE! (But
I'm quite confident it should work)

You can launch following command to check in which order the perl
executable searches for his libraries:

It is important to prefix perl with /usr/bin/ as some of you have
installed variants of perl with fink or macports. Depending of your PATH
settings, you will run another perl than the one is called by gnucash!

  /usr/bin/perl -V

at the end of the whole bunch of info you'll get something like this:

 @INC:
    /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Library/Perl/5.12
    /Network/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /Network/Library/Perl/5.12
    /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.4
    /System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/5.12
    /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12
    .

Now run :

  /usr/bin/perldoc -lm Finance::Quote

which should show you which Finance::Quote is loaded. It should be in
one of the directories listed above. Delete the installed F::Q by
deleting the whole 'Quote' subdirectory and the 'Quote.pm' file. You'd
probably need root access to remove them.

Recheck with the /usr/bin/perldoc ... command above to see if the F::Q
was removed and that there is no other F::Q install present. Repeat the
check/deletion as long as there is still another F::Q installed.

Now you have deleted all versions of F::Q and you can reinstall a fresh
version.

As you are using apple system perl, you can then install F::Q by
downloading Finance-Quote-1.18.tar.gz in a temporary directory and run:

  tar -xvzf Finance-Quote-1.18.tar.gz
  cd Finance-Quote-1.18
  /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  sudo make install

That should then put F::Q in one of the listed directories, and gnucash
should then use that one.

hope this helps !
--
erik