My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Algeorge agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com
Sun Sep 30 19:39:17 EDT 2012

Hi all.
I've had to enter my most recent accounts data and can confirm that there is
a theme dependent reports button, however, the options within do not allow a
great deal to be done to the report format, once again comparing with
Skrooge.

To comment on the interface again: I do like the register-like format of
GNUcash, which is very similar to Quicken, which for the case of the video
review is a plus. However the entry method used by Skrooge does allow you to
select multiple register entries and change valid parts in one Modify action
(eg change all category). This is very powerful and has helped me tidy up my
accounting several times with ease.
For example, if it were implemented in GNUcash you would Find a payee and on
the results screen highlight the same fields wanting to change and type one
value/text to modify all - can this be done currently?

There are some problems with the interface earlier reported by me. EG the
lookup function can tend to get messy if there are several instances of
Descriptor with the same start letters eg POst Office POintscape POwer
billing; in my GUI the descriptor gets filled with the latest and you have
to backspace etc to clean up. Most new users would get used to this, but if
they have been using some other program its then that it becomes annoyance.
Skrooge tackles this with a dropdown box ability to select one of the
several matching descriptors. Without changing any interface in GNUcash it
could be fixed by a .5 second timeout on KBhit initiating lookup.

Split transaction to open it should be a shortcut. However, I note that this
has been requested not only by me in the past in forums but in Bugzilla in
2007, 2008 and 2009. Also while there I noticed a bug report in 2008 that
splits were causing QIF import problems when they had a 0 value - also
mentioned  in the forum.

Re someones comment that its invalid having formula in splits.
In Australia, NZ and many other countries we have % allocated to business
and private use. GST/VAT can be calculated easily separately from the
accounting program by using programs reports and manually doing the biz, but
it is very important to be able to allocate editable % formula to splits for
this purpose, and ease of entry. This is not my personal opinion as its
demonstrated in Quicken, Skrooge et al by default.
Best wishes,
Alistair George.