GNUCASH Trial From QB - Reports Quirks

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Aug 5 03:10:31 EDT 2013

On Sun 4 August 13 18:07:00 Dominic Grosleau wrote:
> Good Day - I am currently running a migration trial from QuickBooks to
> GNUCASH 2.4.11 and would like to know how to display standard financial
> report headers on 3 lines such as.:
>
> COMPANY NAME
> Balance Sheet
> December 31, 200x
>
> Which are the default report headers in QuickBooks, Quicken, and Simply
> Accounting...
>
> As it stands right now, it seems like all that I can do with gnucash is
> display a report with a 1-liner header such as:
>
> Balance Sheet, 12/31/2013

Hi Dominic

You can set a company name within the genreral tab of the report options - at
least, for some reports.  The Balance sheet is one such report.
If you want to start a new line like you describe, add the HTML markup <br>
in the company name and report title boxes.  I don't think there is any way to
influence the date format, other than your system-wide locale settings.

> As well, I would be grateful to pointers on how to modify report
> calculations.  As it stands, my example balance sheet report displays
> Assets of $101.00, Liability of $0.00, 2 Equity accounts (305.20 and
> 149.22) then states Retained losses of 353.42, Total Equity of 101.00 and a
> Total Liability & Equity of 101.00     ..... I suspect a miscalculation
> somewhere ...

What would you expect it to say?  As Mike pointed out, the raw numbers make
sense, so maybe you have got debits and credits the wrong way round?
Maybe the account types aren't set appropriately?

HTH,
Maf.