Unable to parse file xx.gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 6 18:13:16 EDT 2013

On Aug 6, 2013, at 12:40 PM, fhidalgosola at yahoo.com.ar wrote:

> I've created a new gnucash file, and after entering all my data, today I
> received this error. (I've opened my file before without problems)
>
> I've read there is a problem regarding opening balances on windows, however
> I do not use Windows but mac, may it be the same issue? (I did use opening
> balances)
>
> How can I check if I'm hit by this bug? the trace file doesn't seem very
> explanatory, i.e. I found "CRIT" messages like these:
>
> * 20:09:16  CRIT <gnc.backend.file.sixtp> parse failed at:
> * 20:09:16  WARN <gnc.backend> [gnc_xml_be_load_from_file()] Syntax error in
> Xml File /Volumes/Personales/GnuCash/FB.gnucash
> * 20:09:16  INFO <qof.engine> [qof_event_generate_internal] id=3
> hi=0xd3c9f20 han=0x657d0 data=0x0
> * 20:09:16  INFO <qof.engine> [qof_event_generate_internal] id=2
> hi=0x3cd6b30 han=0x1f9d160 data=0x0
> * 20:09:16  INFO <qof.engine> [qof_event_generate_internal] id=1
> hi=0x50ecb50 han=0x2223d0 data=0x0
> * 20:09:16  CRIT <GLib> g_hash_table_foreach: assertion `version ==
> hash_table->version' failed
> * 20:09:21  INFO <qof.engine> [qof_event_generate_internal] id=3
> hi=0xd3c9f20 han=0x657d0 data=0x0
> * 20:09:21  INFO <qof.engine> [qof_event_generate_internal] id=2
> hi=0x3cd6b30 han=0x1f9d160 data=0x0

I don't know of any bugs with opening balances.

The first thing to try is loading your last backup: It will be in the same directory as FB.gnucash,
but will look something like FB.gnucash.20130803115523.gnucash.

If it opens OK, shut gnucash down immediately and rename FB.gnucash to something else,
maybe FBbad.gnucash, and rename your backup file to FB.gnucash. Restart Gnucash
and open FB.gnucash. It will complain that it can't find FB.gnucash.20130803115523.gnucash,
because you just renamed it. Tell it to ignore the problem.

You'll find a log file with the same number string that has the transactions which were the difference
between the old file and the corrupted one. I suggest that you not import that file, as it may well
just re-corrupt the file when you save it and you'll have to go through the same procedure again.
Instead, use it to remind you of the transactions you need to re-enter.

Regards,
John Ralls