General Journal

cgw993 at aol.com cgw993 at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 12:39:13 EDT 2013

>From google –

Functions of the Journal -

Identify the purpose for the transaction

Enter the debits and credits for the transaction

Choose what you want to do with the transaction

The above functions are not a simple, "do in your head" kind of a thing.  Quickbooks, peachtree and GC seem to imply to the user that yes, do this in your head and post directly to the ledgers.  The consensus among these software users is that if you don’t do this in your head, you are "archaic" and "ink and paper".   No textbook or teacher will ever teach bookkeeping this way.   Its like saying  you have found a faster way to calculate the area of the circle, and if you use the old procedure, the right procedure,  your doing it wrong.   With a computer, there is no speed difference at all by using the standard approach. None.  Yet quickbooks, peachtree and GC absolutly insist that the user not follow standard bookkeeping practice because then I guess the user might get control of their own finances and oh no we cant have that.

Whats worse, many people want to learn bookkeeping and they arrive at these message boards for help and spend countless hours learning the wrong thing.  Awful.