How to reset OFX/QFX import account assignment?

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 11:17:05 EDT 2013

Derek Atkins wrote
> A saw no "excerpted" data in your email.  Perhaps you failed to attach
> it, or it got stripped out along the way?

I pasted it in Nabble (where it is still visible) with "raw" format tags.
Maybe the "raw" stuff gets filtered out in the mailing list.

Derek Atkins wrote
> Alas, the only way to do it is to overwrite it.  GnuCash stores the OFX
> Account info attached in the GNC Account Metadata.  It can only store
> one OFX ID, so to reset an account you need to import an OFX file with a
> "bogus" ID and attach it to the GNC Account you want to reset.  Then
> when you re-import your real OFX it wont find the binding and you can
> reassign it.

This worked OK, but the results are still unsatisfactory. Several dividend
transactions were imported without amounts.
Where GnuCash recognized the transaction amounts, it assumed that they were
CHF (my default currency) even after associating the import with a USD
account.  Correcting all of the entries (made worse by the fact that I am
using trading accounts) is worse than putting in all of the transactions
(most of which can be copied with minor changes) by hand.  If I can master
scheduled transactions, I can probably make it even easier.

Derek Atkins wrote
> No, the FITID is an opaque field (to us, the OFX client).  The only
> requirement of the field is that it be guaranteed unique (per account)
> by the issuing authority for duplicate detection.  But there is no
> guarantee for the contents.

Maybe just as well, since the effort to implement maybe disproportionate to
the benefits.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response!