Reset import assignment

Ian Konen iankonen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 18:17:22 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM,  <cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to permanently disable the importer to prevent it from
> learning or doing anything at all against your wishes?  In other words is
> there a way to make it such that the user can control the software and it is
> not the software that controls the user? GNUcash has cloned proprietary
> software right down to the user subjugating part.

I think I'd word it differently than "user subjugating", but on this
particular point, I actually agree with the guy who is passionately
opposed to software subjugating the user except where methods of
transaction entry are concerned (clearly a special case).

The biggest flaw seems to be the OP's specific case: he trained the
importer incorrectly and wants to wipe the slate clean instead of
waiting for the updated training data to overwrite his initial
mistake, and it doesn't seem like that should be difficult to
implement in the UI (modify the XML data in the manner Derek
suggested, but resulting from a menu selection and a warning dialog)

 As to why he'd want to just skip the training and autoassigning
entirely, it's easy to imagine a workflow that frequently involves
grabbing the downloaded bank data, dumping it into the corresponding
account first and using "UNBALANCED" as a reminder to go through at
leisure and assign specific expense accounts outside of a modal
dialog.   If you want to know if you'll have enough money in your
checking account to pay your credit card bill this month, the
individual expense breakdown is less important than just getting all
the credit card side of the transactions in.  But rushing through on a
first pass doesn't mean you won't fix the expenses later, and for that
"UNBALANCED" is a useful flag / eyesore.

--
Ian Konen
iankonen at gmail.com
www.linkedin.com/in/iankonen