Application not opening

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 13 19:40:54 EDT 2013

On Aug 13, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Sarah von Blumenthal <sarah.vonblumenthal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2013, at 00:21, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>>> There was a user qsf - in fact the profile still exists - but I'm logged in as myself and not as qsf.
>>>
>>> I input the following:
>>>
>>> Sarah-McKeons-MacBook:~ sarahmckeon$ sudo chown -R sarahmckeon /Users/sarahmckeon
>>>
>>> WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
>>> or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
>>> typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
>>>
>>> To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
>>>
>>> Password:
>>> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
>>>
>>> I entered my system password and then it did nothing else, so I Ctrl-C to abort (sorry if I shouldn't have…)
>>
>> I should have warned you that it might take a few minutes, depending upon how many files are in your home directory. I should also have explained that the -R means to recurse through all of the folders in the directory and change their ownership as well. For Gnucash's purposes it's not actually necessary, you could just run
>> sudo chown sarahmckeon /Users/sarahmckeon
>> and it will fix the permissions on that one folder and get past that Gnucash error.
>>
>> That said, you might consider whether there's a good reason for qsf to own files in sarahmckeon's home directory. If it's that way because qsf is a userid that you used to use and you switched it to sarahmckeon at some point, then you probably want to run the -R version of chown and remove the qsf userid.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> qsf was an additional userid (legacy from a previous workplace) that used to administrate my MacBook. It's not needed anymore but I never knew how to change this setup without messing stuff up. Under 'Users & Groups' I now show as Admin and qsf is standard.
>
> Does that info change what I should do next?

For now, just run the chown command without the -R and let it finish then try Gnucash again.

Some time when you can let it cook for a while, run
  sudo find / -user qsf -exec sudo chown sarahmckeon {} \;
which will change every file on the system that qsf owns. It might take quite a long time if there's a lot on your disk that isn't under /Users/sarahmckeon.
Then look in /Users/qsf and see if there's anything  in there that you want. If there is, move it to /Users/sarahmckeon. After that you can delete the qsf user and its home directory.

Regards,
John Ralls