"Automatic Payment Forward" - what the hell?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Aug 14 05:09:53 EDT 2013

On Wed 14 August 13 16:42:42 tereque wrote:
> hi Maf,
>
> On 2013.08.14 12:00 AM, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org wrote:
> > Message: 8
> > Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:13:37 +0100
> > From: "Maf. King"<maf at chilwell.net>
> > To:gnucash-user at gnucash.org, tereque<tereque at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: "Automatic Payment Forward" - what the hell?
> >

> > You'll need Derek to go into the mechanics, but AFAIK, the "automatic
> > payment forward" happens if you book more payment than has been invoiced.
> >
> > Say you have a invoice for ?70, and payment comes for ?100.  you'll get an
> > A.P.F of ?30.
>
> generally I though something like that would be happening. Is there a
> way to either shut that automatic off, or control it's behavior? maybe
> Derek can switch the lights for us all here?
>
> Actually my day to day situation is that customers never pay the exact
> amount invoiced to them, or sometimes the invoice amount has to be
> changed because some parts of an order are cancelled, etc ...
>
> So I have to post/unpost/post invoices quite often. Even after payments
> had been made. Or a project (would be a 'job' in the terminology of GC)
> consists of several Invoices .... So I am trying to keep control of what
> actually happened.

Hi Tereque,

I don't believe there is any way to control this behaviour - the double entry
part of GC means that every payment must balance....

I _think_ there are some invoice changes in the pipeline for GC2.6 - ISTR that
credit notes are being added, which may help you with the amending orders
issue, and I have a feeling that you'll be able to pay multiple invoices in a
non-FIFO way.

Maf.