Transaction register question

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 09:53:38 EDT 2013

On 8/17/2013 7:29 AM, Robert Kesterson wrote:
> Geert Janssens wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> From your message I couldn't derive your motivation for downloading
>> and installing the beta version of GnuCash. If you didn't download it
>> to *experiment* with the new features or to do some beta testing, you
>> are probably better of reverting to the latest stable version, which
>> currently is 2.4.13.
>
> Hi, Geert and thanks for the info.  I was able to find the menu option
> open the accounts in the old register format.  I wish it would "stick"
> so I didn't have to do that every time I want to open it (though I did
> discover by that jumping to a transaction in a register opens it in
> the same style interface as the account you currently have open, or at
> least it seems to, so that's good).
>
> To answer your unstated question, the reason I run the beta version is
> twofold.  Number one, it is updated far more often than the stable
> version (yes, I know that's why they call it "stable").  And number
> two, I actually *am* looking for improvements in the user interface,
> among others.   As I mentioned, I run Gnucash on a Mac.  It doesn't
> really look right on a Mac.  For that matter, it doesn't really look
> right on Windows either.  The GUI looks OK on Linux because it matches
> the look and feel of other applications.  On Windows and Mac, it
> doesn't fit in with the rest of the platform.  (Bear in mind, I've
> used GnuCash for *years*, including at least a year on each of the
> three platforms I mention, so my opinion is not based on a cursory
> observation.  I don't use all the business or online features that are
> available, but I do use the general recording and reporting functions
> quite a lot.)
>
>> Assuming you are testing the beta, here is some background on the
>> double scrollbar. It has been introduced to work around a performance
>> problem in the new register interface. It is still under discussion
>> whether the improvement in performance is enough to justify the added
>> complexity. It may be reverted to a single scrollbar interface again,
>> provided another solution can be found to fix the performance.
> I guess I don't have large enough registers for the performance to be
> an issue.  But then I only have about three years worth of
> transactions in GnuCash at the moment.  But I do itemize and split
> every transaction, so it's a fair amount of data (a  bit over 6 MB in
> a SQLite database at the moment).  Previously, I had ten years worth
> of data in it, and still don't recall any performance issues.  I'm a
> developer myself, and I do tend to use machines with plenty of memory
> and processing power, so maybe I just don't notice?
>
> If the bottleneck has anything to do with the amount of data loaded,
> I'd look at changing from loading the entire database into memory vs
> using a database back end.  I'm sure that has already been discussed
> to death and I know there are reasons for the current paradigm, so I'm
> [...]

Hi Robert, interested users and developers,

I think that development of register2 or some other replacement for the
current method of transaction entry is crucial to the continued success
of GnuCash.  That is not because the current register is 'bad', but
because emulation of the current register scheme places unnecessary
burdens on developers who seem to be trying to (sorry, folks) fit a
square peg in a rounds hole.

Generally, database interface programs use 'forms' to input data.  A
'form' can easily be designed to help the user complete his task
efficiently and go on to the next task.  When the 'form' is separated
from the 'table' that shows the register, it becomes possible to
optimize one without compromising the other.  That is one of the great
features of a database interface.

I think this issue needs more discussion and more alternative ideas
considered.

I propose that the transaction editing be done in a 'form' that is
separate from the register window.  That allows the register performance
to be optimized separately from the editing process.

Thanks.

David C