access denied when printing to pdf

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 19 11:52:01 EDT 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Mike Davis Gutiérrez <studentofstone at gmail.com> wrote:

> From within Gnucash pressing the print icon in the toolbar print->print to file. in the print dialog box set to save to desktop. The alert comes "error opening file 'output.pdf' Permission denied" I am in the administrator role and have no problems saving or accessing anything else.
>

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
> On Aug 16, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Mike Davis Gutiérrez <studentofstone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > OSX 10.8 Gnucash 2.41.2
> > I am getting a access denied error when printing invoices to pdfs
> >

> Cool. Using the Gtk dialong's "print to file" or the Apple dialog's "save as PDF"?
> What folder are you trying to save to and do you have write and execute permission in it?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

OK, I can replicate the problem. The error string is in fact "Error opening file '/output.pdf': Permission denied". Note the leading '/'.

If I select "Other.." from the "save in folder" combo and select Desktop from the sidebar of the Gtk File Chooser dialog that comes up, it correctly saves the file to the Desktop, so something's wrong with the folder selections populated into the combo box -- they all try to write to /, and of course only root has write permission there.

Could be a Gnucash or Gtk problem. I'll go dig.

Regards,
John Ralls