One reason why gnucash will not start because of corupt XML file

Keith tunerchip at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:29:39 EDT 2013

No sure if this is the correct place to report this however it may save
someone a lot of time
I download CVS files from paypal and import them into gnucash
This works a treat however after doing several files and closing down
gnucash
When I came to start up gnucah it would not start and reported parse
error in XML file loading at startup
When I closed it down it was working fine showing all the imports OK

Anyway basically what was happining , I had sold some stuff to china and
the downloaded CVS files from paypal contained some unreadable chinese
characters, these unreadable characters were then writen into the XML
file when I imported them , then when the program was closed then
restarted it hit a parse error with the XML files ,the none readable
characters must be control characters in the XML.
The solution untill a developer puts a filter into the import is to put
the Imported CVS into Notepad++ and replace none readable charecters
with the Notpad++ TextFX plugin
this swaps all none readable characters except the CR LF