Faulty budget reports in dual currency personal accounts

esp2dk esp2dk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:29:47 EDT 2013

Hi.

I'm a new user of GnuCash. I am a development professional working in
Tanzania but receiving my salary in my home country. I have households both
in my home country and in Tanzania. I wanted to use GnuCash to manage my
finances, included budget and budget reports.

I have therefore created accounts in both Tanzanian Shillings and Danish
Kroner, bank and cash accounts and expense accounts in both currencies. The
main currency is Danish Kroner. I have posted a couple of months and the
currency exchange works fine. For the Tanzanian postings I can define the
"place holder" accounts in Danish Kroner and even though i Post the
Tanzanian Shilling in the expense accounts the place holders sumarize in
Danish Kroner correctly.

I have hereafter created a budget for all the accounts. It seems to work
fine too until I want to make budget reports. Here it seems that GnuCash
cannot handle two currencies. For example:
1) In the budget report the Budgets categories with expenses defined as
Shillings are shown in shillings while the actual expenses are shown in
Danish Kroner
2) In the budget Income Statement only accounts defined in Danish Kroner are
calculated. Expense catergories defined in Tanzanian Shillings there is a
column with the budget amounts in Shillings alongside a column in Danish
Kroner. However the Danish Kroner shows 0.00 and no expenses in Shillings
are sumarized causing it to seem that I have a huge surplus in income
compared to expenses bucause the Shilling expense are not calculated in the
overall expected expenditure.

I have tried to change the currency definition of the place hoiders but it
did not resolve the problem.

In short it seems that the buget function is not usable when operating with
more than one currency.

I am wondering whether this a general error in GnuCash or am I doing
something wrong?

Does anybody have suggestions to a solution?

Erik