Automatic Reconcilliation using MT940 or OFX

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Sun Dec 1 08:29:49 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to do automatic reconcilliation of a checking account. My
bank (Rabobank) exports CSV or SWI, where SWI seems to be the MT940 format.

First, I didn't know GnuCash actually supported MT940 so I wrote a small
Python script to convert the MT940 file to the OFX format. So, now I
have two files:

account.SWI
account.OFX

I tried importing either file using File -> Import -> OFX or File ->
Import -> MT940. It seems to read both files allright, but the
reconcilliation does not finish.

The matcher works better with the OFX file, as it (correctly) matches
all transactions in GnuCash with transactions on the bank account with
at least confidence 7. When using the MT940 (which is the source of the
OFX file), it only matches about half of the transactions automatically
and I have to add the rest automatically. What could cause this difference?

Then, additionally, when I select 'R' (or 'U + R', doesn't make a
difference) and click 'Ok', it doesn't really work. About half of the
transactions are marked as 'C' in the 'R' column in the register. The
rest is marked 'N', and thus, nothing is marked 'Y'. This means that I
can use this function to import the transactions, but not to reconcile
them (even though the reconcilliation matcher suggests that it will do
this). I'm also puzzled as to why only half of the transactions are
actually marked 'C' and the rest 'N'. The console or GnuCash doesn't
report any errors whatsoever.

I'm using GnuCash 2.4.13, by the way.

Any ideas on these issues?

Regards,