Missing Invoice

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 2 10:19:47 EST 2013

Hi,

Roman <romankal at verizon.net> writes:

> I run GnuCash 2.4.13 under Windows 7-x64 using MySQL as the database
> backend. I created an Invoice having an Invoice ID 'ID01', and posted it
> into an account (receivable). I now want to remove that posted entry and
> replace it with a different modified Invoice. In order to do so I must
> unpost the Invoice which will remove the entry.
>
> However, on running the 'Find Invoice' script, I get a list of ALL my known
> invoices except 'ID01'. And on checking the MySQL database 'invoices' table
> I see that this invoice is not present! Thus, I cannot remove that entry.
> But the entry for this transaction (posting the invoice) can be found in the
> 'transactions' table. (By the way, that invoice did exist until recently.)
>
> How should I proceed? Based on developer recommendations, I have made no
> modifications or deletions directly via MySQL. Furthermore, there apparently
> is no intent to provide Invoice removal options. Is it safe to remove the
> record in table 'transactions' referencing Invoice 'ID01'? Or can I add a
> record to the 'invoices' table with the proper guid? Where would I find that
> guid?
>
> Is there a set of actions that I can perform on the MySQL backend to remove
> this unwanted invoice transaction for a missing invoice?

First, why are you using MySQL?  Most likely you hit a data loss bug
somewhere and you've now run into a bigger issue where you have
inconsistent data.  Alas, I don't know a good way to correct that.
GnuCash (rightfully!) stops you from deleting an Invoice Transaction,
but if you have no Invoice to unpost then the transaction is stuck.

Considering there is no way to delete an invoice, I'm curious how you
got into this state in the first place.  Like I said, most likely a data
corruption bug in the SQL backend -- which is why for YEARS we have been
telling people not to use SQL for real data.  Now you know why.

Sorry,