Missing Invoice

Roman romankal at verizon.net
Tue Dec 3 23:19:56 EST 2013

John Ralls <jralls <at> ceridwen.us> writes:

(Skipping initial portion of lengthy thread)

> That’s unlikely to explain how your invoice got deleted, if it did. I
proposed some queries in my previous
> reply and I’m looking forward to hearing what you find out.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

On researching the situation I discovered essentially the same procedure you
suggested and applied it to my data. I was able to recreate a similar
Invoice directly within MySQL. Then on executing GnuCash, I was able to
unpost that Invoice and note the offending transaction was removed as I
hoped would happen. (Of course we need to be careful not to edit the MySQL
database directly while GnuCash is running and also accessing the same data.)

I have on final comment: Prior posts specifically state that Invoices should
not and cannot be deleted. However, I believe we should parse this statement
further. I agree that transactions created via an Invoice should not be
deletable as long as the Invoice is posted. However, such a transaction is
removed by unposting the Invoice. At that time (when it is not posted) one
should be able to delete the Invoice or edit it to include changing the
Invoice ID number and any other field for that form. After all, there is no
longer any link between that Invoice and other database records. As it
stands now, Invoices that have been created but not used for a variety of
reasons remain in and clutter the database.

Thanks again for your time and comments,

Roman