OFX Transaction Matching [Was: Re: Another one unhappy with quickfill]

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 17 10:23:15 EST 2013

On Dec 16, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Nicolas MT <nicolas.mt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff Kletsky <gnucash <at> allycomm.com> writes:
>

>> Thanks for the suggestions -- reports of any other annoyances would be
>> most welcome before I dive into the code in a few weeks.
>>
>> One of the things that I am considering is improving the UI and code so
>> that potential matches are shown and can be selected.
>>
>> I often have similar transactions for the same payee that are matched to
>> the same journal transaction. With parking meters taking credit cards
>> now in San Francisco, this is going to be even more of an issue.
>>
>> Another problem is the "auto-match" matching something that isn't even
>> close to what it should be. I have a suspicion that some of it is that a
>> match on "Account unknown Bank unknown" is treated as a "positive match"
>> even though it is pretty meaningless.
>>
>> Jeff

>>> I'm with you on that one.The matcher consistently fails to match certain
>>> recurring transactions, and just as consistently, properly matches other
>>> recurring transactions. For example, every imported transaction that
>>> occurs from CVS (a drugstore company) always matches, and every imported
>>> transaction from Acme (a grocery) always fails. Even tho I always assign
>>> the Acme transactions to a specific account, the matcher never remembers
>>> that account and uses it the next time.
>>>
>>> I'd love to be able to throw out all matching rules, and tell it to
>>> start learning all over again ..

>>> My OFX import fills in the account for certain transactions. (see above)

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure I respecting protocol
> or so to reply to this post, but I am having
> the same problem as described below in
> Gnucash and I wanted to know if you
> upgraded (or worked on a upgrade/python
> binding) to improve the OFX Transaction
> Matching in GnuCash. My problem is that
> Gnucash do not recognize the accounts in
> which I want to put my transaction when I
> import them from an OFX file.
>
> The best of the best for me (but then again
> I don't really know what I'm talking about)
> would be to have an option in which you could
> tell Gnucash to class the transaction
> in the account depending on what is written in
> the description tab. A little bit like
> an advanced search works. For example, I would
> a rule search for the word "metro"
> and then class all transactions with this name in
> the grocery account.
>
> Does this make sense?

Not really. What do you mean "GnuCash [does] not recognize the accounts"? Do the accounts exist in GnuCash?

GnuCash has two methods of transaction matching, exact and Bayesian. If you want matching to work off of a single word in varying descriptions, you'll want to enable Bayesian matching in preferences. Note that, depending upon how much variation there is in the descriptions, it may take several imports to train the Bayesian database to match correctly, and that you *must* do the matching in the import transaction matching dialog.

> PS: BTW, I'm having another problem

Then by all means ask about it in a new thread.

Regards,
John Ralls